What Common Household Products Can Harm Your Pet?

Just as you would child proof your house if you had young children, you should pet proof your house if you have pets. There are many substances around the house that can make your pet severely ill. Seemingly harmless products such as detergents and cleaning supplies can be lethal to a pet.

Aspirin can kill an animal by altering its oxygen levels resulting in the animal swelling, vomiting and even dying. Any medication can potentially kill your pet so you must make sure that they are kept out of their reach. Pets enjoy sniffing and exploring and many animals are resourceful and persistent enough to get into cabinets so use a cabinet lock if possible to prevent this from happening. Animals like tasting things and they might ingest medication and become seriously sick.

If you store and use lawn and plant products you should be very careful your pet doesn’t have access to them. These products can be very harmful to your pet and should be stored in a safe place. If your lawn has been treated don’t let your pet out or it can become very sick, even if your pet doesn’t come into direct contact with the substance it will eventually lick its paws and ingest chemicals.

Air fresheners and insect repellents can kill a small pet very quickly so refrain from using these products if you have birds, rodents or fish. Some larger pets such as dogs and cats can get an allergic reaction from aerosols so be careful when using these substances.

Never leave chocolate lying around as many animals enjoy its taste and will eat it. Chocolate is lethal to most pets and you should never give it to your pet as treat. Give your pet healthy treats which have been formulated for your particular pet.

Giving your pet human medication can kill it so never attempt to medicate your pet without the supervision of your vet. Some human medications are lethal to animals and should never be used. Vets may sometimes prescribe human medication but they are experienced enough to do so and know which medications can cause reactions in a pet.

Symptoms of poisoning can include seizures, salivation and drooling, tremors, excessive urination and vomiting. If your pet exhibits any of these signs take it to the vet for immediate emergency care.

Recent Posts

Leave a Comment